The FreeStyle Libre 2 system is your premier integrated CGM (continuous glucose monitoring) system. The purpose of this system and its suite of digital health tools is to create a seamless diabetes management experience.
Comprised of a sensor and a reader/app that allows those with type 1 or type 2 diabetes (ages four and older) to track glucose trends and patterns that they can instantly share with their caregivers and healthcare professionals, FreeStyle Libre 2 provides optimal diabetes management without having to deal with finger sticks and complicated glucose logs.
Good for people who:
- Have elevated fasting blood sugar, fasting insulin level, or high Hg A1c levels
- Are trying to lose weight
- Experience unexplained anxiety/mood swings/fatigue after eating
The hype behind FreeStyle Libre 2 isn’t based on opinion. There are proven outcomes for both pediatric and adult users:
- Reduced A1c – 0.7% A1c improvement in teens with diabetes
- Increased time in the target range – increased time in glucose target range by one hour a day
- Increased glucose monitoring frequency – average 13 times a day
- Reduced time in hyperglycemia – reduction of 1.2 hours per day
- Reduced fear of hypoglycemia – helped ease the fear of and reduced the frequency of hypoglycemia in teens with type 1 diabetes
- Reduced A1c – patients with type 2 diabetes experienced a 1.5% A1c reduction
- Increased target range with increased scan rate – 38.5 scans/day correlated with 43% more time in the target range
- Frequent glucose monitoring – an average of 12 times per day
- Reduced time in hypoglycemia – reduction of 38% in type one diabetes patients and 43% in type 2 diabetes
- Reduced hospital admissions – 47% reduction for diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) in type 2 diabetes patients; reduction in DKA and hypoglycemia admissions in type one diabetes patients from 3.3% to 2.2%; patients experienced a 66% reduction in diabetes-related hospital admissions
The Sensor, Reader, & App
FreeStyle Libre 2 is easy to use. Between the sensor, reader, and app, you can track your glucose levels and share them as needed.
- Sensor – small and discreet (easy for patients); applied to the back of the upper arm for up to 14 days and nights; water-resistant; patients can scan to get their glucose level as much as they want
- Reader – comes with FreeStyle Libre so patients can access real-time glucose readings that allow them to make informed diabetes management decisions
- App – lets a patient scan their sensor with their smartphone; works best by swiping your iPhone by the top middle part of the phone where the speaker is located; will store all glucose level data in one place and makes it easily accessible to the patient’s care team
- LibreLinkUp app – allows every scan to be sent to a caregiver’s smartphone automatically
Steps for Getting FreeStyle Libre 2
Continuous glucose monitors are a great way to get real-time feedback on how your body responds metabolically to different foods.
Here’s the step-by-step guide on how to obtain your sensor:
1. Download the app to your phone (Note: this is a FREE app; you will need to make an account to use the app to read your sensor).
2. Get a Good Rx card. You can get the app or register online (Note: You can use your insurance, but we have consistently found that the price through Good Rx for two sensors is around $70). This is a FREE app.
3. Pick up your Freestyle Libre Sensor at a pharmacy of your choice.
4. Apply the Freestyle Libre sensor to your arm.
5. Activate your sensor.
6. Wait one hour before reading the results.
7. The sensor will calibrate for the first 24 hours.
8. Change alarms; you may want to reset your alarms in the app.
9. Send your data to us (The James Clinic) for monitoring and trend.
The James Clinic
The James Clinic is here to help you with any health concerns you may have. We’ll take the time to get to know you and your history so we can appropriately implement comprehensive tests that will tell us more about what we need to be treating.
Stop wasting your time with revolving-door doctor offices. So many doctor offices today are too focused on how many patients they can get through in a day, which means their patients must deal with shorter appointments and healthcare professionals that aren’t entirely focused on each patient’s care.
We provide quality and personalized services that will support you and your health journey. Request a consult today, and one of our team members will get back to you as soon as possible to schedule an appointment.